Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Water Cutting

Steam power plants - all of them run by steam generated.
They must use what they call is "holy water". It is as pure
as possible as they run very hot pressurized steam. The pipes
would clog up if anything was there. Power plants don't
blow up in the steam lines due to hydrogen issues weakening
the steel. I suspect there was a process or two metal issue.
Any two metals leak current. Some are really bad.

Martin

Pete Keillor wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:08:51 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

I find the pure water - attacks ? I don't think so.

Chlorine and such will. H2O is stable. If they have
electric current flowing in the pipes - possible - it can
break down H2O into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas.
The hydrogen will attack steel. The oxygen will attack
almost anything.

I bet they had a mixed iron and copper system and did themselves
in without using current breaks - plastic joints.

Martin

We had to guard against using de-ionized water in recirculating
cooling systems for extruders (primarily D2 steel). The operations
manual from the manufacturer warned against it due to excessive
corrosion. Specs were given for water quality.

Of course, this was in boiling service. Cooling was accomplished by
small shots of water into the cooling channels in the extruder
barrels, which since they were at 2-300 deg C caused the water to
immediately flash to steam.

Pete Keillor

Wes wrote:
"Tim" wrote:

IIRC,
our machines had to use deionized water.
I heard a horror story where a facility put in a reverse osmosis system to take all
impurites out of the feed water. Then they started having even more problems. Really
pure water attacks the alloying elements in the plumbing.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller