Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default WinVista HELP Pls

chris French wrote:
In message , Rod
writes
Davey wrote:
chris French wrote:
In message m,
Davey writes
Even better, dump wifi and get homeplugs which are fantastic.

not if you just want to get you laptop out on the kitchen table
and do something they aren't.

Horses, courses etc.
True enough, but if the signal is weak or you're fighting with all
the neighbours' wireless networks which aew on close channels, and
your connection keeps dropping, they are fantastic
There's a lot to be said for having a solid connection.

I used to think that. But since a)( getting an Apple Airport Extreme
router and b) getting a new laptop, I am really not sure any more.
Reliability is excellent - never have a problem. And speed is not an
issue any more. Last night, for example, I was downloading at what
was claimed to be 1.1 MB/sec.

I'm still lie to choose my horse for the course.

There is indeed much to be said for a solid connection. we have 4 pcs
in 3 rooms here all wired. Much faster then wireless and always
reliable.
Ok, if you are just talking about web traffic then no, it is not going
to be an issue normally. but for an internal network shifting larger
files around it really makes a difference (eg downloading files from
the digi camera in the study to be stored on the server in the cellar
is much quicker than doing it on one of the laptops over WiFi.

And whilst ours is generally reliable, it's a biggsh victorian house,
solid walls and all that, I've only really just about managed to get a
reliable decent connection over the all house.

but if I want to flop on the sofa, sit at the kitchen table or lie in
bed the WiFi is great :-)

Was that a typo? WiFi or WiFe?

)