Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Gravel question

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote:

If a company says you need "x" number of tons of a certain type of
gravel, how do they measure that?

In my experience- roughly. I've never been shorted, but I know of 2
local vendors who measure by bucket, rather than actual weight.
Probably a better way to do it as it is the volume, not the weight
that is important for a job. and a week of rain could have you buying
water. [the biggest expense is the carting of it anyway]

Will 22 tons of 2" cover the same
area at the same depth of 22 tons of 3/4 inch stone?

no. Ask the place where you're buying for a chart of their
volume/tonnage. It will vary depending on the type of rock, so
there are no hard & fast charts. But a cubic yard=a ton will get you
in a very rough ballpark.

Buy extra and post the leftovers on craigslist if you don't have a
place to store it. I've still got 5 tons of river cobble left from
a 2008 project- but my neighbor and I keep finding uses for it.

Jim