Posted to uk.d-i-y
Percy Picacity Percy Picacity is offline

Default Unusual joints in Firebird combi boiler

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"Percy Picacity" wrote in message
The pipes to the heat exchanger in this Firebird Olympic combi
boiler have joints of a type I am not used to. The pipe ends
have a flat flange which fits against a male threaded brass tube
like the tail of a tap[1], but unlike a tap connector they have
no continuation of the pipe into the tail. They have been made
with various versions of fibre washer and jointing compound, but
invariably start leaking. I suspect they may be designed to be
used without any washer, but the flanges do not lie flat because
the copper pipes are not accurately made to lie in the plane of
the joints on the heat exchanger. I feel the copper flanges
might bend or break if tightened with no washer.

Does anyone know how these joints should be made, and how to stop
them leaking? Many thanks for any comments.

[1] http://www.inchoate.org/union.jpg

--
Percy Picacity

Cracking drawing Percy ! I can see straight away why it leaks. The
union nut is much too big for the thread ... :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist that !

Arfa

Thanks - drawing was never my strong point!

--
Percy Picacity