Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default OT. How much does it cost the average American (family) for health care insurance.

In ,
terry wrote:
There's been so much debate here and on other forums about Universal
US health care (pro and con) that one gets curious about how much it
NOW costs, say, the average US family, to have 'Health Insurance'.

A family plan with lower deductibe costs employer and employee combined
about $10K annually maybe a year or two ago, inflating about 10% annually.

We guess that the cost is either fully paid by the subscriber?
Or in other cases, partly by the subscriber and partly by their
employer?

When there is a subscriber, one or the other of these is true (unless
the employer picks up the full tab, as is often the case for most members
of the more politically powerful unions).

Then there are others, we gather who have no health insurance at all?
And we understand there is something called Medicaid?

Medicaid is available to the "truly poor", and not to most who merely
cannot afford private health insurance.

Insurance cost numbers a) As little as 'a few hundred' b) Over
$12,000, per year have been mentioned?.

"A few hundred" is probably typical or highish-typical among employees
with employer-sponsored health insurance that the employee has to chip
into. Some employees pay nothing (usually if members of motre politically
powerful unions), some pay 100% (several hundred to close to $1K per
month), most pay in-between.

$12K sounds to me about average or very slightly high-side for employer
and employee combined to pay for health insurance for an employee and the
employee's family.

But what is a 'typical' (or average) USA cost?

- Don Klipstein )