Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic azotic is offline

Default Bring a gun and have some fun in LV

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 11:04:15 -0400, Ed Huntress wrote:

They need lots of practice in Nevada, the most dangerous state in the
country, with a crime rate 24% higher than the national average.

Show us the citation that backs up that hysterical remark.

Thanks,
Rich

Hysterical? Rich, the slightest effort on your part would show you where
that came from.

sigh Sometimes I feel like I should run a basic self-education class for
righties. That's based on the CQ Press methodology, which ranks states on
five violent crimes plus auto theft. You can check them out against the
UCR. I've done so, and it would take about 15 minutes if you want to go to
the original source.

But the summary is in the links from he

http://www.cqpress.com/product/Crime...ings-2008.html

--

Ed Huntress

Ed you might want to find a new source:

Article: Some Call Dangerous-City Ratings a Crime
Article from:
The Washington Post
Article date:
November 21, 2007
Author:
Elizabeth Williamson - Washington Post Staff Writer CopyrightThis
material is published under license from the Washington Post. All inquiries
regarding rights should be directed to the Washington Post. (Hide copyright
information)

If the FBI has said it once, it has said it a thousand times: Do not use its
crime statistics to rank the nation's most dangerous cities.
That didn't stop CQ Press from releasing a book this week that does just
that. And it didn't stop officials from cities on the list -- not the ones
ranked safest, of course -- from furiously protesting that the rankings were
not only meaningless but unfair.

Several criminologists say a new report by a private publishing company that
ranks cities is flawed.

"Morgan Quitno computed the rankings by using rates for six of the seven
offenses -- murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and motor
vehicle theft -- excluding larceny theft. James Alan Fox, a sociologist and
professor of criminal justice at Northeastern University in Boston, said the
report is 'a rehash of readily available crime statistics.' He said that
cities' wide variations in size, demographics, geography and economic
conditions make comparisons of their relative safety questionable."

I Question CQ press, state ratings. Just simply compile your own stats from
daily newspapers on the web, only took a hour
of reasearch using google to determine that the CQ ratings are a crock of
****. One wonders if the authors got some payola
to make some cities look better and others look worse or they were
incredibley incompetent, lazy and sloppy ?

Best Regards
Tom.