Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Water Cutting

I find the pure water - attacks ? I don't think so.

Chlorine and such will. H2O is stable. If they have
electric current flowing in the pipes - possible - it can
break down H2O into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas.
The hydrogen will attack steel. The oxygen will attack
almost anything.

I bet they had a mixed iron and copper system and did themselves
in without using current breaks - plastic joints.

Martin

Wes wrote:
"Tim" wrote:

IIRC,
our machines had to use deionized water.

I heard a horror story where a facility put in a reverse osmosis system to take all
impurites out of the feed water. Then they started having even more problems. Really
pure water attacks the alloying elements in the plumbing.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller