Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
N Morrison N Morrison is offline

Default Inverting electrical panel 180 degrees?

On Aug 28, 5:57*am, stryped wrote:
I opened my main breaker General Electric 100 amp panel I bought. The
direction say to rotate the enclosure 180 degrees if it will be bottom
fed. (WHich mine will).

WHy is this? If I do that the main breaker will be at the bottom which
seems odd.

In Canada, panels are split by a divider into the main breaker and the
branch circuit sections. It is against code to run the main feed
through the branch circuit section or vice versa, so unless you want
to bring the cable up the side and over and down you must invert the
panel.

In the US, local codes may vary.

However in Canada, you may mount the panel sideways which is much more
sensible. This is against code in the US (so far).

So, check your local codes.