Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default bowl blanks

In article ,
"Marty G" wrote:

Is it me or do others have problems with bowl blanks from WOODCRAFT. The
last threee blanks I have gotten from them have 1, warpped, 2 cracked, and
the last one just blew up as I was turning it. Just your basic 4" by 2-1/2"
blank, it still had a 3/8" wall when both cross grain sides blew out. This
was a Blank that I got about 4 months ago and it has been sitting in my HOT
shed for all that time.

Not particularly good storage conditions. As such, may not have much to
do with woodcraft. A dry hunk of wood is never bone dry unless it's been
cooked in an oven and not exposed to air after that - so even if this
was a "dry" blank, cooking it in a hot shed is likely to make it shrink,
move and possibly crack. If you have blanks from 3 other suppliers
exposed to the same conditions for the same time and they don't have
problems, then you might have a real issue with woodcraft - otherwise I
think you have an issue with how you store your stock.