Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Cynic Cynic is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:15:13 +0100, Derek Geldard
wrote:

We now have some very viable units in mass production at reasonable
prices. I understand your scepticism, but I do not see 3 years as
being overly optimistic. Right now it would be quite possible to
illuminate your entire house (including garden floodlights) with
commercially available LED lighting.

Do you get a free set of night vision binoculars with every cwt. of
LED lamps ?

You obviously have no idea whatsoever of what is available today.

Personally I would fit about 20 or so small flush-fitting 5W LED units
into the ceiling of a medium size room. It would provide an
*extremely* bright but glare-free room (when needed) and an even,
shadow-free light. Dimming can be achieved by not having them all
switched on, which also has the advantage of allowing part of the room
to be bright (perhaps for reading) and another part dim (for TV
viewing).

My postcode is LS27 7QZ. Since they are commercially available perhaps
you could indicate the nearest showroom where I can see an "entire
house" lit by such lights.

Did I even imply that such a house existed?

I'll be there with my light meter.

Please feel free to set up a test and do so. Perhaps use 3 X 5W LED
fittings in a test rig and compare with a single 15W incandescent in
its place.

20X5W LED fittings will light a room *considerably* brighter than a
100W incandecent, and you will seldom want them all on at once.

--
Cynic