Posted to uk.misc,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Sale of Incandescent Bulbs to End on Tuesday?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 10:10:06 +0100, Willy Eckerslyke
wrote:

Huge wrote:

But the OP has a point. The 23W one in the luminaire outside my front door
just failed (after not much more than a year - I have now started writing
the dates on these bulbs so I know how long they really last) and I replaced
it with an 11W since that was what I had. And it's brighter than the 23W
one was.

I know. In the general scheme of things it's all a bit pointless and
mildly irritating, but not the greatest injustice ever inflicted upon us
- as some posts in this thread might imply.

Well OK, I'd go along with that, but It rates !

It's just I regard it as very bad for the government to make
compulsory changes to our lives for the benefit of big European
business relying on ignorance in the populace that arises from a tenth
rate system of technical education in such basic day to day matters
to get away with it.

FWIW, I'm still impressed with those expensive Biolbulbs. They're
holding up well, except for the one that I killed by banging my head on
it. I'd probably have bought a couple just for the quality of the light,
regardless of the energy saving. No good with dimmers though.

They're probably OK CFL's but that's all they are, if *very* expensive
(& Who's getting all that $$Money$$ ?).

Claims have been made that their "continuous daylight spectrum" can
cure everything from allergies through death watch beetle in wooden
legs, to night starvation caused by shortage of melatonin.

That's Hocus-Pocus bull****.

Derek