Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap Andy Cap is offline

Default OT Any opinion or experience on this ?

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:24:48 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

I thought some modern programmable room stats already did this, in a
more effective way than that device claims to, but learning what
overshoot a given system has, and compensating by turning off the
heating earlier. That would be more effective than the pulsing that
link talks about.

OTOH, I design and build my own heating controllers, so I haven't
actually used any recent/modern commercially available controllers,
and maybe they're not as advanced as I think?

Note that if you are running a condensing system at low water
temperatures, then the overshoot significantly reduces, as the rads
are not storing as much energy.

When talking about overshoot, presumably that's soley at the end of any timed
heating period, because *any* heat generated throughout the period will
contribute to that demanded, or am I misunderstanding ? It seems impossible to
make such savings by simple turning off the boiler a little ealier at this
point.

Or to put it another way, where is the heat they claim to save, being lost?