Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Any opinion or experience on this ?

In article ,
Andy Cap writes:
This has just been advertised in my Union mag.

http://www.gas-elec.co.uk/reduce-heating-bill.html

Has anyone used one or have a view as to it's effectiveness? They seem
very upfront and clear in their claims but at £156 for a couple of
electronic timers and relays, it's horrendously expensive. If the
principle is right, I might be tempted to build my own version, bringing
it right on topic for DIY.

I thought some modern programmable room stats already did this, in a
more effective way than that device claims to, but learning what
overshoot a given system has, and compensating by turning off the
heating earlier. That would be more effective than the pulsing that
link talks about.

OTOH, I design and build my own heating controllers, so I haven't
actually used any recent/modern commercially available controllers,
and maybe they're not as advanced as I think?

Note that if you are running a condensing system at low water
temperatures, then the overshoot significantly reduces, as the rads
are not storing as much energy.

--
Andrew Gabriel