Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538

CSquared wrote:

"Clot" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Clot wrote:

CSquared wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Clot wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Clot wrote:

wrote:
"Clot" wrote:

But....... if there are 400 million people in the USA
and say 100 million homes.... and if we save just ONE
watt in the fridge bulb.... that is 100 million watts
saved!!

I thought it was below 300m, so a few less watts saved!

~350M I believe.

Interestingly, this came out today:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8224520.stm

I've always used the rule of thumb that the US population is five
times the UK and don't see a reason to change it!

The UK is less that 1/3 the size of TX, so think of what that
means for population density and why just about nothing can be
compared across the two countries.

Quite. It's one of the reasons we tend to have smaller vehicles!
We each have an eighth of the space over here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tion_d ensity

Yeah, but we tend to bunch up pretty badly, so having all that space
doesn't really help a whole lot of us too much.

I was thinking the same way when reading Pete's view, but I think
there are more communities of say ballpark 5, 000 to 10,000 people
that are at a further distance to larger communities than here in
the UK which would result in more local facilities being required in
smaller communities than here in the UK.

Yes, and there are plenty of areas in the US where you can drive for
many miles passing through town after town with triple digit
populations. Providing services to people in these areas is
substantially more expensive than people in a large city.
Transportation issues are a big issue for the poorer folks, you could
give universal coverage to them (which already exists anyway in
emergency rooms), but they still need to somehow get to the medical
center that might be 50 miles away.

Precisely so.

One of my friends from the rural area where I grew up about 70 miles NE of
Dallas suggested recently that maybe I'd like to move back some day. I told
her I really would love to in many ways, but that it would make the trip to
all our various doctors an awfully long drive! As a result, I think we had
best just stay put. It is only about 8 or 9 miles from our house to either
of 2 very fine teaching hospitals here. I will grant you that there are
likely some fine doctors less than 20 miles from my old home, but I'm not
sure all the specialties we currently require at our "advanced age" are
available there. Just as one example, my parents lived in that general area
pretty much to the end of their lives but my Mom's oncologist was based in
Dallas though ISTR he saw patients in Greenville at least one day a week.
Later,
Charlie Carothers
--
My email address is csquared3 at tx dot rr dot com

TMC and the new medical center under construction in Denison would
probably be adequate.