Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is this Roofing error pretty common?

On Aug 27, 7:21*pm, aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-
I'm just curious if stats like the ones mentioned at the following
site are accurate. Is it true that 90 - 95% of roofers do it wrong -
placing the adhesive strip too high up on the starter course?

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Roofing-1...shingle-questi....

I guess there are 4 of us who do it right, now.g * * I argued for a
minute with my brothers-in-law as they started to re-roof their house.
But they've 'been in the business'[construction] all their lives, and
I haven't, so I just asked if they could see the difference in results
and let them go ahead and do it wrong.

Just 'cuz they're "in da' bizness" probably means they've got even
higher chance of doing it wrong than the DIY'er because the time to trim
the tabs is directly bottom-line $$ instead of just a few extra minutes..

Of course, the manufacturers all make starter shingles specifically for
the purpose if they would simply go to the trouble to use them...

--

Or walk along with a caulking gun and put a couple dabs of roofing
cement in the 'correct' spot on each upside down shingle before the the

I've seen untrimmed upside-down starter courses used for 40-odd years,
and never noticed any big tendency for the bottom row of shingles to
flap in the breeze. I'm no fluidics expert, but I think it has something
to do with the angle of attack of the incoming wind. With no roof
downhill from it, the air currents aren't parallel to the roof surface.
* If you are talking a force-5 hurricane, the sticky spots will not make
much difference. Asphalt shingles were around a long time before they
added those.

--
aem sends...

Or walk along with a caulking gun...

To quote Mike from an earlier post "That is really inefficient."

If Mike felt that switching from nailing to cutting was a waste of
time, just imagine how he'll feel about having to switch to/reload/
carry around a caulking gun. g