Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default bowl blanks

On Aug 27, 1:26 pm, "Marty G" wrote:
Is it me or do others have problems with bowl blanks from WOODCRAFT. The
last threee blanks I have gotten from them have 1, warpped, 2 cracked, and
the last one just blew up as I was turning it. Just your basic 4" by 2-1/2"
blank, it still had a 3/8" wall when both cross grain sides blew out. This
was a Blank that I got about 4 months ago and it has been sitting in my HOT
shed for all that time.

Hello Marty,

Most purchased bowl blanks are not fully dried. They are generally
sealed to hopefully keep them from cracking. When you turn them into a
bowl, it is best to rough turn them to 10 percent of the diameter as
wall thickness and them put them in a paper bag for a couple of
months, hopefully not in a hot shed. Your bowl probably had a lot of
stress built up in it from storage in the hot shed. When you then
turned it, you released the areas that were holding it together and it
simply flew apart. It is not Woodcraft that is to blame. It is they
way you are handling them.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net