Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Results of "Cash for Clunkers" program

F. George McDuffee wrote:

Please point out one command-controlled economy that is efficient AND
responsive.

Straw man?????
========
Wrong news groups for economics. AMC and RCM are about metal
working, not economics, economic growth/development, or
[political] econmetrics [although this can be difficult to see at
times].

Which is the point I'd like you to embrace.

In usenet try
alt.economics.austrian-school
also see my webpage
http://mcduffee-associates.us/PE/Econometrics.htm

When I want to save the world, I'll surf.

In this case, how much the CfC vehicles are driven, what is their

At what point does the nanny state stop? The safest vehicle would be a
totally immobile one with no engine. Sort of like the Flintstones car,
but with far more belts, roll cages, etc...

We could use less imported petroleum with more domestic drilling. Gas
would cost less with fewer boutique blends being produced. We can send a
few billion dollars to help Brazil's state run petroleum industry to
drill for oil, yet we won't let US companies even drill in the US.

=======
More B/S -- this was a loan from the Export-Import bank to Brasil
to finance the purchase of US produced goods and services. The
Ex-Im bank is a government sponsered enterprise [GSE] but is not
the government.
see http://www.exim.gov/

Freddie Mac and Fannie May are government sponsored but not
"government". BUT they have the ability to tap into taxpayer's pockets
just as well. Why do American products need an offset from the US
taxpayers? Thomas Sowell has a book out on the housing bubble and how
government officials ramrodded non-market policies through.
The Housing Boom and Bust
http://www.borders.com/online/store/...sku=0465018807

What of the ultimate safe vehicle, sans engine? I bet it would save a
lot of lives.

The US oil companies are not drilling on many of the domestic
leases they already hold. One suggestion is a "use it or lose
it" provision. If you get a oil/gas lease from Uncle Whiskers
you have 3 years to start drilling and 5 years to start producing
or the lease reverts back.

What regulatory and environmental factors are in play? There's a silent
elephant in the room.