Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default They don't build them like they used to...

TheScullster wrote:
"Tim S" wrote

That I agree with - most of the buggerage in my house was done in the
70's.

Count yourself lucky, my original house was built in the 70s!
This seems to be a time when they were trying to build out of cheap tat, but
without the modern emphasis on insulation you have mentioned.
If it wasn't in a nice area with great schools I would consider myself well
cheated with this purchase.

Phil

We have got a 1965 house that is not exactly quality built. It is
however within 200 yards of 2 village pubs, a good doctors surgery and
the village green which has a duck pond. We will not be moving in a hurry.

I remember in the early 1980s living close to where a new Barratts
development was going up. They were timber framed and loads of the
sections were piled up long before needed. Polythene type stuff was
ripped and had loads of snow inside. The first time the wind blew one of
the gable walls fell out.