Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave D[_3_] Dave D[_3_] is offline

Default Two drilling questions

Thanks for all the suggestions. Getting better presses is ideal, but
that's going to take some time and I'm just looking for a easier
option for now. The right bits work fine. I was using bits I found
with an almost neutral rake and that solved the problem. But I can't
find those or anything like them anymore, nor can I find anybody that
is capable of sharpening some like them in this ever de-evolutionized
world where nobody knows how to do anything anymore... So I'm still
looking. I tried the Unabit and they do work well, but sorry... I
should have mentioned this is mainly for doing two sides at a time
through tube. So every extra step greatly lengthens the amount of
work. Ideally I would love to find letter sizes, which would eliminate
one more step. I'm mainly doing about 1/8 or #27 to about F or G. The
biggest is maybe 21/64, but for some reason those don't seem to have a
problem. mainly around the 1/4 size do. Somebody said I should try the
straight flute or the one I originally showed, because they have a low
rake. But I've tried so many, I just wanted to see what people thought
before I spent more money. Some day I want to do this with CNC, but
that's a ways off.

On the subject of the evaporating American heavy industry... It's a
sad thing, but as mentioned, there can be an up side. There's some
surplus stores out there that are awesome. Stainless fasteners dirt
cheap... all kinds of stuff. There's a place in CA that got a lot of
it's stuff from Lockheed Burbank when it closed... They've even got
some of the old metal placards and stuff.