Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is this Roofing error pretty common?

On Aug 26, 4:01*pm, "Mike" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

.

Think of it this way....
1 - I am going to charge the client the total cost of material + labor
either way, so the $6 savings per bundle for the starter shingles
makes no difference to me and probably not much to the client since I
won't need too many bundles of the starters for most jobs.
2 - I can worry about and deal with these specialized shingles being
where I need them when I need them and all that little stuff, or I can
just toss my regular shingles up on the roof, grab whatever I want and
in a matter of - what, 2 seconds? - cut the tabs off and have a
starter shingle.

You need to think efficiency, plus cost factor. Sadly, I was roofing for
nearly 16 yrs. You need to think $, on the average our jobs used nearly 1
sq (3 bundles of starter), that's including running the rake edges for a
3/4" overhang. You need to cut (time), since I see you like to cut as you
go, you're switching from a nail gun (or roof hammer) to knife. That is
really inefficient. *When you cut, you have waste, you can't let it just
sit there, someone has to toss it in a dump truck or whatever you're using
for disposal. Another inefficient step.

If you're hauling your own shingles up, either your time isn't very
valuable, or you're using cheap labor. You can't beat RTD (roof top
delivery). For a $3 per square charge, you get drip
edge/felt/shingles/starter/ venting/ collar stacks all set on the roof. If
you have regular tab shingles that you intead to cut for starters, it's
going to be more $ instead of just having starters set RTD in the first
place.

Which do you think is going to take me (or my workers) less time to
do? I sure wouldn't want to go looking for starter shingles as I move
across the roof when I've got bundles of "ready to become starter
shingles" shingles within easy reach at all times.

You don't go looking for starters. It's called being organized. Nobody
needs anyone on their roof which operates haphazardly. You're scaring me on
how you operate.

Since time is money, any savings on the starter shingles is going to
get eaten up in all the extra "stuff" involved with having them,
finding them, using them, storing them, transporting them, etc.

Absolutely wrong, its already proven.

You're scaring me on how you operate.

It appears you may not have been following this thread since the
beginning.

I started the thread and in the 3rd post I said:

"I'm not a roofer, I only recently played one in my backyard, so I'm
open to being corrected."

Since you obviously have more experience and knowledge when it comes
to roofing, I accept your explanation and stand humbly corrected.

P.S. Can you answer the original question I asked? Do most roofers
install the starter course incorrectly as shown in my shed plans (tabs
up with no regard to the placement of the adhesive strip) and
commented on at this site?

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Roofing-1...question-1.htm