Posted to uk.d-i-y
R[_7_] R[_7_] is offline

Default They don't build them like they used to...

"John" wrote in message

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Tim S" wrote in message
Despite the problems I'm having with the Bungalow and despite it's
pitiful
(lack of) foundations, it's doing better than a few 11 year old houses
down
our road here in Pembury...

Just heard that several houses are having to have the entire ground
floor
slab rectified due to subsidence. The main foundations are fine, but
someone didn't prep the slab base properly. Apparantly these houses were
built by a few gangs in parallel and it seems that one gang buggered up
their lot, but the rest are fine.

I have seen worse..

a new development on a slope where they started at the top..
after about 60 houses were built the top ones started to slide down the
slope.

They had big cracks in them and BC (my friend) says there is no way they
are going to save them.
There were about thirty families living in them and about 30 part
finished ones.
None were more than two years old.

Luckily for the owners the cost is being fully covered including
redecorating, but it's still messy and inconvenient for them.

Wonder where the Building Inspector was that day?

Tim

Very little supervision on building sites in my opinion.

Prolly because the supervision (If any at all) don't speak Latvian or Polish