Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Dremmel tool advice?

On Aug 26, 6:49*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 19:23:16 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:
Hi, Don and i have been having more fun with our hobby. *We enjoy
refinishing furniture. *When we have too much, we freecyle it. *We generally
are working on 'good bones' solid wood pieces. *Its sanding the odd round
bit or the detail work that has me looking at the dremmel models.

If any have experience with them, could use some on which model to get. *I
do not need the heavy duty professional level stuff.

I have a Dremmel and I refinish furniture, but don't use a Dremmel to
do it. *I sometimes mount a spindle on my lathe to strip off the old
finish. *The abrasive rope (sold in woodworking shops) works well
getting into crevices. *Power tools can quickly damage furniture
unless you are always careful.

I know little about antiques except the more they are screwed with the
less they are worth (gleaned from the Antiques road show).
Dremmels, though I have some experience with. For versatility try to
get a variable speed with a flex shaft, get a selection of collets,
get a big package of off brand tools for it cheap, so you can
experiment & see what works for you, then you can try to find a
quality version of the bits you use a lot. I still use most of the
cheap set, & never found anything I needed the best of except the cut-
off wheels.