Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamme0[_2_] spamme0[_2_] is offline

Default Tv deflection: ok to use a 1.5uh for a 4.7uh ?

b wrote:
I am trying to fix a sharp tv with a line stage which is not starting
up (140v on HOT collector Ok), there is a coil rated 4.7uH on the base
circuit of the HOT / line transistor which looks a bit tired.

How do you know it's tired?
Eyes completely closed or just nodding off?

I only
have a 1.5uH to hand, would I cause damage by using it even just for
test purposes?

I've got this here 4-40 bolt. Can I use a 4-36 nut? They're both #4.

My car's outa gas. Can I use this here can of sterno?
They both burn...right???

-B.

But seriously...
Inductors don't get tired.
They get open
They get shorted turns
Cores crack.
Measure the inductance. There are many simple ways to make
the measurement...google is your friend.

If it's not open, it's unlikely that replacing the inductor
will fix it. It is possible that a bad inductor can be
the root cause and cause it to blow up again when you fix
the other broken stuff.
Inductance is not the only parameter of interest, but
if it's in a low-current part of the circuit and the
inductance is correct, it's "probably OK".

Randomly replacing components with "whatever you happen to
have" is inefficient troubleshooting.