Michael Daly

Default Need table saw advice

On 13-Nov-2003, Michael Baglio wrote:

My $0.02, based on observation as a newbie, rather than experience.

An awful lot of this world does just fine with a really good bandsaw
as their weapon of choice.

While a beginner without a table saw, I often think that folks overemphasize
the TS. Sorta like the "if all you have is a hammer..." approach to life.
Even router tables are made to look more like a TS than a router. Why
should a RT fence be parallel to the edge of the table? The router is
not a linear device like a TS - the fence can go at _any_ angle!

Consider that with the exception of dadoing,

This could be done with a router. And a decent router is comparable in
cost to a decent dado blade kit for a TS.

I got a bandsaw, based on my needs (mostly boatbuilding based). I can
do most things that I can think of with this except cut really wide pieces
of wood (like sheets of plywood/MDf/etc). Crosscuts I do with a hand
saw.

I also was infuenced by the FWW 1st annual Tools&Shops issue, where Gary
Rogowski suggests that your first power tool should be a BS (unless your
needs are cutting wide chunks of wood).

It seems to me that a lot of folks could make good use of a BS and RT to
do more than a TS could. I can cut thru 6" of wood more easily than with
a TS - that would require me to cut, flip over and cut again. The BS is
a substitute for a scroll saw, as long as curves aren't too tight. The
router will allow plunge cut dadoes and grooves rather than the continuous
versions that most TS users get. Much neater than having a groove
sticking out the end of a hunk of wood.

If I needed to cut plywood/MDF/etc (in the short term given my _very_
limited budget), I'd probably go for a decent straightedge and circ
saw and use the BS for everything once the big sheets are down to size.
But that would suit my needs, possibly not many others'.

Anyway, if you need a TS, it's an excellent tool. But I wonder if some
folks focus on the TS too much.

Mike