Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default Angle grinder triumphs again!

On Aug 26, 10:26 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 26 Aug, 10:02, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

vices that permit rotation of the work while machining

It's usual to use either a rotary table for this, with a simple vice
bolted on top, or else to use a dividing head with a lathe chuck on
it.

Some might argue that it's abuse of a dividing head to do this, but
most people who have dividing heads at all are using vast industrial
surplus ones that dwarf their mills, so they won't suffer too badly.

Thank you for for mentioning dividing heads. I'll have a look at the
equipment that came with our mill. Otherwise I will make one!

If you're a "Model Engineer" the traditional approach for doing the
ends of coupling rods seems to be a fixed pin and free-swinging it
handheld. Even at that scale it's a f*ck*ng heathen practice that will
cost you fingers, smashed work and smashed tooling.

That sounds dangerous. So far I've managed to avoid injuring myself or
damaging tools. I guess I'm more involved with heavy engineering.