Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Smoke detector - how can chirp be SEPARATE from removable part?

Rebecca Webb wrote:
I showed
http://www.morris.umn.edu/~webbrl/Sm...eDetectorInnar
ds.jpg to an electrician colleague. He said,

"That's a junction box, you ninny. There is no way it can make a
chirping sound. No way, never, nada, zip, no chance, can't happen.

I agree. That picture is of a electrical junction box.

"Your ears are deceiving you. It must be a nearby detector you're
hearing. [The bedroom detector is only about 10 feet away.] Try doing

It can be hard to tell where that brief little chirp is from.

Now, incorporating the info I've gained from y'all, when I look at the
bedroom detector, if it IS the problem, chances are it will be blinking
or illuminating in some manner different from the others, right? I
mean, assuming the others are okay.

It's been a couple of years. I wired a whole house as a volunteer
and I remember hooking up the interconnected smoke detectors. The
one with a low battery would make them all chirp, but there was a
little red light that would blink only during the chirp, so you
had to wait around for it. You may have a different make and model
of smoke detector, so no guarantee the work exactly the same.
Your best bet is just replace all the batteries. If one is bad the
others are probably soon to be.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.