Posted to misc.consumers.house
Rebecca Webb Rebecca Webb is offline

Default Smoke detector - how can chirp be SEPARATE from removable part?

Here's an idea. Pictures!

Here's the vault of the living room ceiling. Not likely to have any
crawl space above it, right?

http://www.morris.umn.edu/~webbrl/Sm...ngRoomVault.jp

Here's the location of the smoke detector on that ceiling, circled in
red. Sorry it's a little hard to see. I shot this pic from the other
side of the main support beam. The room I'm shooting from is also
vaulted, but in a different direction (90 degrees perpendicular).

http://www.morris.umn.edu/~webbrl/Sm...eDetectorLocat
ion.jpg

Here's what I call the wiring, which I thought of as just sitting in
dark air above the ceiling. I see now it seems to be contained in some
sort of dome-shaped metal casing? Anyway, this is where the chirping is
coming from, not from the removable plastic part. Does that seem
feasible? And if I could find a way to remove the metal casing and
everything contained in it (red white yellow black wires, little round
blue thing that looks like a phillips screw but which I think might be
the actual sensor), the chirping would stop, yes?

http://www.morris.umn.edu/~webbrl/Sm...eDetectorInnar
ds.jpg

RW