Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Smoke detector - how can chirp be SEPARATE from removable part?

Rebecca Webb wrote:
chirping is not coming from the removable part. It's coming from the
wiring up in the ceiling. I know this for sure because I took the
removable part out of the house and put it in the garage. The ceiling
hole kept right on chirping.

How is that possible?

When I installed smoke detectors that were hardwired into the
house wiring they were interconnected. If one of them started
to chirp due to low battery, they all chirped until you fixed
the one with a problem. You could tell which one was really
the problem because there was a light that would blink only
on the unit with the problem. Anyway, I would suspect
you have another smoke detector up in the attic space that
is the culprit. Go look for it.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.