Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default hvlp spray gun

In article ,
"Dan Kuechle" wrote:

I thought that a high volume low pressure spray gun required air at about 60
cubic feet per minute and around 4 psi. This, I was told, could not be
obtained with a standard air compressor (no easy way to convert 4 cfm @ 60
psi to 60 cfm @ 4 psi). Now days I see lots of "hvlp" spray guns that say
they operate from a standard air compressor at 40 psi. Is this all
marketing hype and these 40 psi spray guns arn't true hvlp guns?

I don't know **** about spray guns, but I don't believe the person who
told you that you can't trade volume for pressure. With the following
caveat, I think that's nonsense.

Regulation down around 4 p.s.i. likely requires a regulator designed for
precision in that range, rather than in the 80 p.s.i. range that a lot
of compressed air is used. (the old "center of the scale" thing - which
is why cars designed to run at 60 have speedometers going to 120.)