Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is this Roofing error pretty common?

On Aug 26, 1:01*pm, dpb wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

-snip-
I'm just curious if stats like the ones mentioned at the following
site are accurate. Is it true that 90 - 95% of roofers do it wrong -
placing the adhesive strip too high up on the starter course?

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Roofing-1...shingle-questi....

I guess there are 4 of us who do it right, now.g * * I argued for a
minute with my brothers-in-law as they started to re-roof their house.
But they've 'been in the business'[construction] all their lives, and
I haven't, so I just asked if they could see the difference in results
and let them go ahead and do it wrong.

Just 'cuz they're "in da' bizness" probably means they've got even
higher chance of doing it wrong than the DIY'er because the time to trim
the tabs is directly bottom-line $$ instead of just a few extra minutes.

Of course, the manufacturers all make starter shingles specifically for
the purpose if they would simply go to the trouble to use them...

--

Of course, the manufacturers all make starter shingles
specifically for the purpose if they would simply go to the trouble to
use them...

True, but if you are talking about "bottom-line $$ instead of just a
few extra minutes" the same (or worse) applies to using a pre-made
starter shingles.

Even you said "go to the trouble to use them".

Using them would mean locating them, opening the package, storing them
where they can be found the next time and all the other "time
consuming steps" involved with using them, as opposed to just grabbing
a standard shingle and cutting the tabs off.

If they won't go through the trouble/time/expense of cutting the tabs
off, I can't imagine they would go through the even greater trouble/
time/expense of using an additional product.