Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Dougall Tom Dougall is offline

Default Re Reverse chucking a bowl

OK thanks for that I'm sure the jaws are in correctly. When the jaws are
tightened into the recess naturally there is no loosness, it also looks like
the jaws are round as far as I can see. I think that because the No. 1 jaw
is slightly loose until it is tight in the recess is the cause. I think
that as I am tightening the jaws the No. 1 is displaced slightly.

In this particulr chuck (The Versa chuck) the machine jaws are always placed
in the slide with the same number, ie 1 to 1 2 to 2 etc
The O'donnel jaws are then mounted in the same way on top of the machine
jaws. For the super nova chuck the the No.2 and 4 jaws are reversed.
This is because the nova jaws are for a colockwise scroll and the nova for
an anticlockwise scroll.

Tom

"burtwitlin" wrote in message
I don't believe this is true for all chucks. I once managed to get the
jaws buggered up. As I remember it was something like 1 & 3 or 2 & 4
being reversed. Maybe it was both sets. It might also have been that I
had the wrong jaw number on the wrong jaw slide or the jaw slides in
the wrong place. I remember it happened and can't remember the
details. What ever it was the jaws closed properly. The problem
occured when I changed jaws. Then I wen nuts trying to figure out what
was going on. I finally took everything apart and very carefully
matched numbers. One thing is certain. I'm not going out to the shop
and deliberately bugger up a chuck to see if I can figure out what I
did wrong before. Point is you need to make sure that the jaw slide
goes in the right chuck slot and the right jaw attaches to the right
jaw slide.