Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default Need urgent advice on where to buy a home for elderly relative

"Kristen" wrote in message
On Aug 26, 8:35 am, "Clive George" wrote:
"Kristen" wrote in message

snip
- A home, preferably with a good sized piece of land to keep her
active in the garden
- Within my budget of 50k
- In a quiet, peaceful and safe rural area (the sort of place where
people leave front doors unlocked)
- Has a low cost of living
- Has good healthcare (where she won't have to drive for miles to the
nearest clinic)
- Has a friendly, large Anglican/CoE community who will take care of
her

snip
Thanks for your advice. I am speaking to other relatives at the moment
to see if they are willing to provide financial support for the one
that is separating from the family, but at the moment I am
conservatively assuming I'll be the only one willing to help her out.

Even something simple like this will do for an elderly woman with no
family:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-8430903.html
Offers in Region of £49,950
2 bedroom chalet for sale
22 Panteidal, Aberdovey, LL35 0RG

snip

Properties such as this can meet you initial budget but they will not meet
your aspirations for an investment.

The owners of these sites (as with resedential/holiday caravan sites) have
you at their mercy.

They can increase the service charges whenever they want to, and they take a
cut of any sale - note the requirement to sell to them unless they don't
want it, in which case they get 5% + VAT of whatever you get on a private
sale.

These conditions are what keeps the price low - it makes the property
initially affordable but does not make it a good investment.

Why not invest your £50k and use the interest and part capital to pay for a
rental property.

Many good properties which meet your requirements are availabel currently
for £400-£500 per month.

Assuming an expenditure on rent of £5,000 per year that is at least 10 years
before the money runs out, and meanwhile you have the opportunity to add to
your investment (along with any sympathetic relatives) and from some of your
posts it appears that more finance may become available in the future. If
so, you can then decide if you want to carry on renting or if you can buy
somewhere. It is only the UK (and recently at that) where ownership of
property has become the norm. Most UK people in past times, and elsewhere
today, rent.

Your relative does not have to live alone - many people share rented
accomodation and sharing the costs will give better value for money.

For instance you should be able to get a three bedroom semi detached
property for about £750 per month in most areas, and for less in cheaper
areas.

Two people sharing get a bedroom each, a spare room for occasional visitors,
and companionship. All for £450 a month.

I happen to live in Felixstowe in Suffolk, which is a retirement town
(Harwich for the continent, Felixstowe for the incontinent) and I think that
if you decided to rent you could meet all your other aspirations here.

To buy, you are looking at £90k plus and compromising on the garden and
desirable area.

Hope this helps.

Dave R