Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default OT-ish - drain blockages, neighbours etc

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
That's interesting. My house is Victorian and shares the drain with
next door. All their drains go to a manhole in my back yard where
mine join - then exit *under* my house, to a manhole in the front
then on to the street sewer. Are you saying they are the
responsibility of the water company?

I *think* so. Did you see the link which I posted later, which explains it
further? Here it is again:
http://www.southernwater.co.uk/Domes...OwnsTheSewers/

Yes - but I'm not with that water company. Although it does look like it
is a national thing.

My neighbour had a drain clearer in just last week. Charged 300 quid - but
didn't ask me for a contribution. Wonder how fast a water company would
turn up

I think Thames Water are obliged to come within 4 hours. In our case
they park a sizeable lorry in the middle of the road, roll out some sort
of huge flexible drive thing, and are gone in about 10 minutes.

- this wasn't an actual blockage - just an occasional smell. And
I'm not sure that what they did would have sorted it permanently. I think
it's down to a patio drain they had installed at the same time as removing
their outside loo. The builders were proper bodgers. My guess is the
outside loo wasn't properly capped off or whatever.