Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright Bill Wright is offline

Default Incandescent lightbulbs

"dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:48:39 +0100, "someone"
My son bought my wife an old (c. 1950's) Singer sewing machine on
ebay :-) The thing was local so (sigh) I collected it. It was motor
driven even had the original cabinet in which the machine can fold
down into. But the drive belt err, -wasn't. and the bulb had blown -
yet it had a bulb holder still there! The speed control was by foot
controller. I stripped the wiring out, re-wired it and ensured a heavy
earth for the lot. Went into a small Aladdin's cave of sewing
mysteries in town. I had the old drive belt and bulb in my hand ready
to explain. The guy at the counter spotted these, turned around before
I started speaking, picked two replacement items from somewhere and
plonked them on the counter. I was an almost wordless transaction.
Took the bits home, fitted them and, no it didn't explode, but worked
perfectly first time! Mrs has remade some heafty velvet curtains and
done several other sewing jobs and is delighted with it! So am I
actually - I'm amazed - it works so well. Then, this is a good bit, we
were sat there one night having a cuppa and saying how good this relic
was, when... it started sewing by itself!!! Slowly ran up to speed -
and then some more :-)
Turns out the capacitors across the contacts in the foot controller
were leaking. Replaced them with 400 vac jobs and away to go again.
Oh and the cost...... £10 :-) +£6 for replacement parts.
(sorry for long story)

When it's amusing like that it doesn't matter. And if it wasn't amusing
no-one would see the apology.

Bill