Posted to alt.home.repair
Worn out Retread Worn out Retread is offline

Default Concrete Garage Floor Question

benick" wrote in message
. ..

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Clot wrote:
Dave wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm in a cold climate - eastern Canada.

The apron (for lack of a better term) of my 30 year-old concrete
garage floor is starting to chip rather badly. You can see the nature
of the chipping he

http://myplace.route2.pe.ca/dave.gal...age/garage.jpg

Any ideas on how best to not only stop the decay, but how it might be
returned to its original condition?

Moving on a tangent, why do you garage the car? I(snip)

Because I detest digging the car out of snow cover, and even when it
isn't snowing, scraping the frost off the windows?

My attached garage is not heated, other than what leaks out from the
imperfect house walls, and the hot engine block and other moving parts
that the car brings in from the cold. It freezes in there, but seldom
freezes hard. You are correct that thermal cycling promotes rust, but I
put that under the chapter heading of an acceptable tradeoff.

Now if I could just find a cost-effective way to make the driveway
shovel itself when it snows.

--
aem sends...

Well for starters , stop putting salt on it...I don't get the need for
a completely clear and dry driveway in the winter..A paved drive will
melt off by itself in a few days unless it is below zero....In my gravel
drive I always pack down the first snow of the season by driving over it
with the plow truck and only plow after I have a good base...NO SALT and
I only sand if it gets icy like after freezing rain or sleet ,
ect....ALOT less damage to the drive and lawn....I put studded snows on
SWMBO's car anyway for my peace of mind while she is commuting and I
drive a 4X4...If you live in snow country you should run snowtires and
lay off the salt....IMHO...

Studded snow tires are not legal in a lot of places due to the damage
they cause to roads.

Here in Maine Studs are legal to run from Oct. 1 thru May 1....I have
never heard of a state in the snow belt outlawing studded snow tires all
together , EXCEPT during the summer months.....Please enlighten us with an
example or link....Thanks....Exactly what damage is done to the road by
studds ??? Here they are illegal in the summer because the tires get hot
and the studs will fly out at highway speeds and could be dangerous , not
for the damage to the roads...

Here in Ontario, studs have been banned almost from the year that they first
came out. I don't know of any province that allows them but there could be
some.

What damage is done by the studs? You're kidding....right!