Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538

David Nebenzahl wrote:

One of the most important things to consider, I think, is the fact
that CFLs contain fairly complex electronics, requiring construction
at the front end and disposal at the back end. How much energy does
this all consume? (That little matter of mercury in CFLs also demands
investigation.)
It's important to look at something like this holistically so that we
don't end up embracing a policy that, to use an analogy, yields a
barrel of oil while requiring two barrels of oil to produce it.

The unfettered marketplace will control the energy required to produce a
CFL. The only common thing I can think of that costs more in energy to
produce than it yields in value is Ethanol. Ethanol is a product of a
government-fettered marketplace.

As far as Mercury in bulbs, remember, we've been disposing of florescent
bulbs for a century without a peep of concern. But raising the issue and
finding a solution to an unimportant concern does make a significant number
of people feel better, so that's something.