Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default WEEE/RoHS/PbF rogues gallery

N_Cook wrote in message
I was reading up recently concerning damage due to the excessive heat for
PbF soldering of pcbs. The most common fallout in immediate

post-production
test is multilayer ceramic caps

Is this delayed damage on this German made Dynacord mixer amp, definitely
using pbf construction.?
A 100nF, 100V cap incinerated itself , in an area that did not affect
routine use of the amp.
The failure of the amp was due to another of this batch of capacitors with
less than 20V standing DC, going ohmic, measuring of order 20K to 30K with

DVM when I measured it but varying considerably.
in the parts list as
KO-KER 0.10MF 100V 20% cap ceramic 100nF
it is mustard yellow epoxy cased, axial leaded, 2.2mm diameter, 3.5mm long
at longest axial dimension, with markings (requiring x30 microscope to

read,
and not that clear, so maybe wrong transcription)
R1E
104
MGR
619

104 for 100nF and 619 for week 19 of 2006, R1E for 100V ?
I've not found the manufacturer yet under KO-KER or MGR yet, but I assume
from the size that they are multilayer ceramic.

I can of course replace these 2 but what about the remaining 40 or so?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

the sort of caps involved, not this company necessarily
http://img.en.china.cn/1/0,0,434,317...9,b831706c.jpg