Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance,uk.legal
AlanG[_2_] AlanG[_2_] is offline

Default Need urgent advice on where to buy a home for elderly relative

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:21:10 -0700 (PDT), Kristen
wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

I wonder if it is wise for a 70 year-old to take on a large garden, unless
of course she is very fit and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future
and there is financial capacity to buy-in help with gardening as and when it
is required.

I just want this relative to find something useful to keep her active
and occupy the mind. It is very easy for the elderly to settle into a
sedentary routine and waste away.

I have an elderly relative in her mid 70s. She sold up a few years ago
and moved into a flat in a small town near to her local church. The
flat is alarmed and adapted for the elderly but other than that she is
not botheredby any officialdom. Spends most of her time helping out
with dinner groups and church charities.

At 70 you are probably looking at 15 years max before your relative is
deceased or needing assistance with daily needs.

Good luck, this sounds like a nightmare to me.

You have no idea! Yesterday I endured 18 hours of shouting and
backstabbing venom from all sides. I just sat there quietly - if I
told them I didn't want to hear it anymore my newfound life role as a
family therapist would be gone and they would take it out even harder
on each other. At one stage I thought I would have to call an
ambulance.

Kristen