Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default OT-ish - drain blockages, neighbours etc

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
First question is whether it is a public or private sewer? If it just
serves 2 or 3 properties, chances are that it is a private sewer, in
which case the unblocking costs are the responsibility of the
householders whose properties are served by it - *unless* the
properties were built before 193x (I forget the exact date, but it's
thirty-something), in which case it's the water board's
responsibility, and you shouldn't be wasting money on private
contractors such as DynoRod.

That's interesting. My house is Victorian and shares the drain with
next door. All their drains go to a manhole in my back yard where
mine join - then exit *under* my house, to a manhole in the front
then on to the street sewer. Are you saying they are the
responsibility of the water company?

I *think* so. Did you see the link which I posted later, which explains it
further? Here it is again:
http://www.southernwater.co.uk/Domes...OwnsTheSewers/
--
Cheers,