Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538

In article , David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 8/25/2009 6:43 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:

In m, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

3. Disposal costs:
o Actual physical disposal (recycling, landfilling) costs

I somewhat remember landfilling costing Philaelphia around $70/ton
around 1990 or earlier in the 1990's - could be more like $100/ton now.
Plus maybe a few dollars per ton to transport trash to the landfill.

If you take your dead CFLs with you to Home Depot next time you go
there, proper recycling does not cost you anything. I hope the actual
cost is included in the price Home Depot charges for their CFLs.

Keep in mind that in this (hypothetical) "Grand Study" it's the total
costs to *everybody* that count, not just what it costs *me* as a
consumer. I know I can recycle my CFLs at a number of places (Home
Depot, Ikea, etc.) for free; what I'm after here is the actual cost of
transporting, storing, dismembering, sorting, and ultimately disposing
of the remains: recycling what can be recycled and landfilling the rest.
Including any energy expended in doing so.

I doubt if you or anyone else here has a figure for that, but it's a
real cost, one I think would be helpful to know. (I would be interested
in your educated guess.)

The Osram study on energy consumption includes "end of life" - I would
think that would include disposal.

As for my cost figures - that was only direct consumer cost, though I
suspect and hope that Home Depot includes cost of their recycling of
brought-in dead CFLs in the cost of their new ones. If you accumulate
your dead ones until the next time you had to go to Home Depot anyway,
there should be extremely negligible cost and energy consumption of your
transportation.

- Don Klipstein )