Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus27816 Ignoramus27816 is offline

Default Two drilling questions

On 2009-08-26, bob prohaska's usenet account wrote:
Buerste wrote:
them. And, the bearings don't always fit into a good bore and the shafts
aren't great fits either. I won't buy them anymore, there are too many used
good ones out there.

I'm in the market for a good used drill press. Do you have any suggestions
as to brand/type? Smaller is ok, low speed (as for a hole saw) would be
a plus. Everything I've seen is an East Asian import except for one
vintage Delta with a bent spindle.

I have a hobby of buying stuff in liquidations. Here are some
observations.

We are in the middle of a once in a generation destruction of American
metalworking industry. This may not necessarily be a negative for the
country, as the old technology would possibly make way for new
technology, but this old technology is valuable to hobbyists because
we can actually comprehend it.

So, where to look for those drill presses?

The answer is, at liquidation auctions.

Two weeks ago I bought an old 1/2 HP Craftsman bench drill press for
$15, for example. It worked great. It is nothing like what you can buy
at Sears today. It weighed at least 120 lbs.

check out also

https://www.premierarg.com/live/jsp/...&imageId=75680

(the motor here may be somewhat underpowered)