Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Waterproofing concrete tile roof with Elastomeric paint

On Aug 25, 3:24*pm, (Kota) wrote:
Kota had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Waterproofing-concrete-ti...
*:
Hello my name is Anthony, I came across this article while doing some
other work
related searches. I work for Sky High Roofing and Siding, we are licensed
GC and
roofers servicing all of south florida. My question to you is did you ever
get
that roof replaced while doing my work i am coming across so many people
in
maimi-dade area who the insurance companies have taken advantage of and I
can
help you out tremendously if you still have the partial roof repair still
there
thru programs former govenor Jeb Bush initiated and many aren't aware of.
You
can contact me thru email or by phone or 561.951.7712

miamicuse wrote:
Location is Miami Florida. *I am going to repaint my house. *Single
story CBS (Concrete Block Stucco) with a concrete tile roof.
The concrete tile roof was partially damaged during hurricane
Wilma, the roofing company came out and repaired with some new tiles -
same size same model but different color, since that was all they had
in stock I was not in a position to be picky (roofing contractors are
hard to find and book in our areas). *So anyways I have now a roof with
80% old tiles, a little faded gray color and 20% new bright white
tiles. *I am considering repainting the roof.
After doing some research on the net, it seems there are a significant
amount
of people who thinks this is not a good idea because the paint will
eventually
break down and decompose after a short time under the extreme heat and
rain
in Florida.
I did find this site which claims success.
http://www.somay.com/manufact/water/...histories.html
a picture of the roof with their product after application:
http://www.somay.com/manufact/water/842barrel0002.jpg
The steps a
Surface Preparation:
* Treat Surface with Chlorine to Kill Mold, Mildew, Fungus
* High Pressure Water Blast to Completely Clean Surface
Prime Coat:
* SOMAY Product No. 777 - "PST" 100% Poly-Acrylic Primer,
Sealer
* Color: *Clear
Intermediate Step:
* SOMAY Product No. 992 - SOMAY Elastomeric "PATCH &
SEAL" (Caulk) to seal
all joints
Intermediate and Finish Coats:
* SOMAY Product No. 842, SOMAY Elastomeric "ROOF MASTIC",
Sealer & Protector
* Apply at 20 mils dry film thickness for each coat
* Color: *White
*Total: * *40 mils dry film thickness for all 3 coats
So what I don't understand is this. *When they said "Intermediate
Step ...
seal all joints" do they mean they seal the edge of each tile? *So
that
there is no water to go under any tile? *and 40 mils of all 3 coasts is
very
thick! * *This is like covering the roof completely with one continuous
layer...right?
Mc

Only about 3 years late.