Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default CFLs vs LEDs vs incandescents: round 1,538

"Mike Dobony" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:52:28 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Since this seems to be a fairly hot topic here I thought I'd give it
another little shove.
So it's one of the burning questions of our age: are CFLs really that
much more efficient than incandescents? Should we go whole-hog over to
what Homer Simpson calls the "twirly" light bulbs to save ourselves (by
cutting carbon emissions, etc.)?

I don't care about efficiency. CFLs are MUCH cheaper in the long run. Mine
have all lasted at least 6 years instead of 6 months for incandescents. Also
cheaper because they provide the same brightness while using less
electricity. But the number one reason I love these bulbs is that they don't
throw off the ridiculous heat generated by incandescents. It's not a big
deal in the winter but for those of use without AC, CFLs can lower the room
temp by 5-10 degrees, at least in my experience.