Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Counter-tops: What's next after granite?

I've had mostly tile countertops since 1972 or so. *I like them but then you
don't know me.

Stuff would get into the grout lines.

It wipes off.

The grout lines impede wiping the counter.

With a squuegee, yes; with a sponge (or cloth), no.

The wet areas would mildew.

Never had any. *And that's in Honolulu and Florida, both known for humidity.

Tiles can crack.

True. *So can pretty much everything else. *Can't burn them though...

And it's not conducive to undermount sinks.

Conducive, no; possible, yes.

The rough, porous grout in a depression is not nearly as stain
resistant and cleanable as an uninterrupted, non-porous, glassy-smooth
surface that can be wiped right into an undermounted sink. There's no
contest. Eventually clean does not equal quickly clean.

It's not the humidity that is the mildew maker in grout. It's the
constant wetness near a heavily-used sink. Also tile cracks much,
much easier than quartz. Not even the same ball park. It's hard to
find a tile installation of any appreciable age that doesn't have
cracks and craze lines in multiple locations.