Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT... GPS's

On Aug 25, 7:41*am, Bob Villa wrote:
On Aug 24, 7:08*pm, "Mike" wrote:

Do you own one, if so, what brand?

Buying a gift for someone, and have been reading reviews until I'm blue in
the face. Looking to spend around $250. Been looking on NewEgg, any
suggestions for competitors?

Thanks

I used other ppl's Garmins (about 3) and then was given a Magellan
1400.
The difference is satellite acusition...the Garmins are super slow.
I also prefer the features on the Magellan.

bob_v

Acquisition times for the Garmin Nuvi line can vary from instantaneous
to "Heck, I could have been there already!" I can't speak for other
units.

It all depends on how long the unit has been off or how far you've
moved since the last power down.

If the unit has been off for more than 4 hours, it assumes the stored
satellite data is stale and starts from scratch. The same thing can
happen if you move more than a few miles from where you powered the
unit down, although that is not as clear cut. These acquisitions time
can be upwards of 2 minutes.

The longest acquisition times usually occur when both of the above
conditions are true *and* you are moving at the same time. These times
can be excruciatingly long.

If I have absolutely no clue where I'm going and know that the unit
will take a while to acquire the satellites, I'll pull over or not
leave the parking lot until the unit is ready. There's no sense in
driving around while extending the acquisition time, only to find I've
been going in the wrong direction.