Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT... GPS's

On Aug 25, 8:29*am, George wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've been reading your comments in this thread- and paid minimal
attention to your experience with different models of these things.

But this sold me- If I ever take the plunge, I'm gettin' me a Nuvi.g

Doable with others including stuff like changing male/female voices,
accents and using voices such as Homer Simpson etc.

-snip-
I have a utility that allows me to change the things that my Nuvi
says.

Some examples...

"Make a U-turn" is now "Turn Around, Fool." (as per Mr. T)
"Recalculating" is now "Lost Again!"
"Arriving at ..." is now "Yahoo! You made it to..."

Does it also have user-changeable databases? * I've looked at these
things off and on for a few years. * But I travel so little & enjoy
being lost so much, and enjoy maps more than the average bear. . . so
I keep putting it off. * *

One of the great features I read about one of them was user-groups,
where folks could share databases. * So if I was coming to your
neck-of-the-woods you could hook me up with all the points of
interest, shortcuts, work-zones & eateries better than some huge
database updated by the beaurocracy.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

"Doable with others including stuff like changing male/female
voices, accents and using voices such as Homer Simpson etc.

The changing of voices and accents is typical of just about all brands
and models.

As far as changing the things that these voices say, I can't speak for
anything other than the Nuvi line, but the utility I speak of was
custom written by a Nuvi owner. It is *not* a Garmin supported
"feature".

The user has to access the Garmin via the USB port, edit a text file
within the Garmin and save the changes back out to the unit.