Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default size of hole for concrete fence post + costs for concrete

David WE Roberts wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...
David WE Roberts wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news

snip
Are you using concrete gravel boards?

Yes - and I was wondering last night if we would be able to get these
in after the posts had been set, or if they needed to be fitted
before the next post was concreted in.

Yes.First post, gravel board, second post etc.

If I go for 9' posts (to allow the 6" gravel board and 6' fence panel
to sit below the top of the post) then unless you can wiggle them in
we would have to lift this gravel board 7' in the air.

You don't want to do that, trust me :-)

Why not go for 1' gravel boards & 5' panels? That way you can stay with 8'
posts.

[O.K. for me at 6' tall, but perhaps not for my beautiful assistant.]
On the other hand if we lay down the gravel board before finally
concreting in the post we have the issue of getting the concrete in
past the gravel board on one side.

Not a problem with Postfix/crete. You pour it in dry & then add water.

We could raise the gravel board a bit on bricks or wood, then lower
it when the concrete is in.
Won't really know what works until we fit the second post!
At least the gravel board will help with the spacing.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk