Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default plumbing: scaled up tap connector (was freezing kits)

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 14:41:20 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:07:57 +0100, Derek Geldard
wrote:

In the last week or so I've freed off a corroded stop tap by heating
up a lemon in the microwave and sticking it on the exposed spindle of
the stop tap (the crossbar had loosened and come off) and repeating a
few times, then spraying the whole valve with 3 in 1 oil, then WD -40,
and then with aerosol white spray grease, and leaving it all to soak
in, before refitting the crossbar and having another go which was
successful this time.

Sorry, I forgot to ask is it ok to use oil on these fittings? It is
what I was thinking of doing myself but considering it is tap water,
is there a danger of the oil getting into the water? Is it just a case
of not applying too much to begin with and wiping the excess of the
pipe as soon as you open the joint?

Well if it's just a case of freeing off a siezed stop tap the water
can't get contaminated until the solvents / oils have got through and
penetrated the gland whereupon they will meet the water which will be
under high pressure, and hence tending to come out. rather than admit
any contaminating fluids in.

Derek