Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default size of hole for concrete fence post + costs for concrete

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
David WE Roberts wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message news

snip
Are you using concrete gravel boards?

Yes - and I was wondering last night if we would be able to get these in
after the posts had been set, or if they needed to be fitted before the
If I go for 9' posts (to allow the 6" gravel board and 6' fence panel to
sit below the top of the post) then unless you can wiggle them in we would
have to lift this gravel board 7' in the air.
[O.K. for me at 6' tall, but perhaps not for my beautiful assistant.]
On the other hand if we lay down the gravel board before finally
concreting in the post we have the issue of getting the concrete in past
the gravel board on one side.

If you use a dry mix you can just shovel it in and poke it down with a stick
without having to worry about the gravel board being there.

You don't need concrete anyway, telegraph poles are shoved in a hole dug
with a post hole digger and then back filled without concrete (in most
cases). They don't fall over very often.

The best way under normal circumstances is to remove the minimum of material
needed to get the post in the ground as disturbed ground is what gives under
load.

(If digging holes was the best way to support something they wouldn't use
pile drivers