Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Current tile cutter recommendations?

In article
,
Bolted wrote:
You'll get many views. Score and snap is much quicker - but doesn't
give as nice an edge as a wet cutter. More difficult to do repeating
cuts where you want tiles all the same size too. If you don't mind
taking time - and I don't - wet is best. But I can see a pro
preferring S&S where time is money.

Repeatability is not an issue with a good score and snap.

Are you saying you get types with a fence? Otherwise it comes down to
skill - unlike a wet one.

FWIW, with glazed ceramic, I'd use a wet saw.

That covers most tiles. ;-)

With hard porcelain, I use a manual cutter where I can, just because
it takes so long on the wet saw if you have more than a few cuts to
do, and the noise is hellish.

Didn't find that a problem doing my large bathroom. And with the high cost
of the tiles I preferred the reliability of the wet cutter. No spoiled
tiles with that.

Of course it could be I've never tried a really good score and snap
device. But I'm not sure I'd want to pay a fortune for one given a wet
cutter will do everything it can and more - only more slowly.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.